YouTube LinkedIn Google+ Instagram Pinterest FourSquare Flickr

Editing Photos in Lightroom Classic CC

Lightroom

Lightroom is one of the Creative Cloud apps used for editing photos. Many people think that Photoshop is the best for photo editing, which it does have its benefits and so many things can be created in it, however, Lightroom allows you to edit a photo beautifully in just a couple of minutes. I want to offer some of the things that I have learned using Lightroom and how to edit a photo in the app.

Editing An Indoor Portrait

The first picture is a RAW indoor image that I took for no particular reason, but I’m going to show you how to quickly touch it up. The first thing that I want to do is lighten my subject using the shadows tool, not the exposure tool because of the bright natural light coming from the windows, otherwise it would be over exposed. The next step is to turn down the highlights and whites to balance the lighting with the subject. The next step that I like to do is turn down clarity and saturation to at least -5. Finally, I like to have warm temperatures on my photos, especially ones with flat colors because it softens the image.

Before

After

Editing An Outdoor Portrait

My process for editing an outdoor portrait is similar to indoor, the thing that changes is there are many more colors to play with. This RAW image above is a bit under exposed because I shot it in a shady area. The first step that I take is to increase exposure to +0.20, not too much but also not leaving it under exposed. Next I lighten the shadows to try and expose her face a bit more, I also increase the highlights and whites because I want more background light to highlight the yellows and greens in the background. Next I put clarity at -5 and saturation at -10 because I want to warm the image, but do not want to saturate the colors. After I do this, I increase the temperature towards warm to soften it. What this does is it brings a lot of yellow onto her face and in the background. In order to not over saturate it, I then scroll down to the hue, saturation, and luminance tab and lower the green, yellow, orange, and red saturation.

Before

After

Editing A Landscape

The final photo that I’m going to show how to edit is a sunset landscape photo, which can be tricky with the colors and contrasts. With this photo, It is under exposed and I purposely did that for the sake of preserving the sunset colors. When I edit this, I want to increase the shadows and blacks quite a bit because the foreground colors compliment the sunset colors well. The next step is to decrease the highlights and whites because that will make the oranges, pinks, and reds stand out more. Then I will increase the temperature to make it warmer and that will soften the entire image. Next I want to play around with different hues to see how I can make those colors stand out but also fit with the rest of the natural colors.

Before

After